Amy is the epitome of a girl obsessed with hair. She likes to whip her hair back and forth. Apart from that she is a qualified hair dresser with 8+ years of experience in hair dressing. She knows the right product for your hair and will not stop until you find what you are looking for to solve your hair problems!
Some mistakes you don’t have to live with. A bad hair color is one of them. Good thing the best hair Color removers let you change things easily!
We’ve all been there! Trying out a new, fancy color that we (thought) suited us. A DIY hair coloring session gone wrong.
Or just plain old regret. Sometimes that dye needs to come off. This is where the best hair color removers come into the picture!
While stripping hair of color is a process better left in the hands of professionals, you can do it safely at home too.
|Hair Color Removers||Best For||Links To Amazon|
|Color Oops Hair Color Remover Extra Conditioning||Ammonia-Free Hair Dye Remover||View on Amazon|
|Color X-Change Phase-Out Gentle Dye Decolorizer + Intensive Hair Mask||Hair Color Remover For Dry Hair||View on Amazon|
|Roux Clean Touch Hair Color Stain Remover||Hair Dye Remover From Skin||View on Amazon|
|L’Oreal Effasol Color Remover||Hair Dye Remover For Black Hair||View on Amazon|
|Colour B4 Hair Colour Remover Extra Strength||Hair Color Remover For Dark Hair||View on Amazon|
|Joico Color Intensity Eraser Hair Color Remover||Hair Dye Remover For Blue or Pink Hair||View on Amazon|
|Powertools CBC Color Balance Corrector||Blonde Hair||View on Amazon|
|Bold Uniq Purple Shampoo||Best Purple Shampoo||View on Amazon|
|Prell Shampoo Classic Clean||Hair Dye Removing Shampoo||View on Amazon|
|Neutrogena Anti-Residue Clarifying Shampoo||Hair Dye Remover For Temporary Hair Color||View on Amazon|
|Malibu C Color Remover||Fastest Hair Dye Remover||View on Amazon|
|Color Fix Hair Color Remover||For Permanent Hair Dye||View on Amazon|
Hair color removers are not just for hair coloring disasters.
They also come in handy if you want a completely new look and need to get rid of the unwanted dye.
Before we get to the best hair color removers, we’d like to share some tips on how to pick the right hair dye.
Best Hair Color Removers 2023
How To Choose The Best Best Hair Color Removers For Getting Rid of Hair Dye
Choosing the best hair color remover to get rid of hair dye depends on several factors, including the type of dye used, the desired result, and the condition of your hair. Here are some guidelines to help you make an informed choice:
- Research and Read Reviews: Start by researching different hair color removers available in the market. Look for reputable brands and read customer reviews to gauge their effectiveness and potential side effects.
- Consider Your Hair Type and Condition: Take into account your hair type, texture, and current condition. Some color removers may be more suitable for certain hair types or conditions, such as damaged or porous hair. Look for products that are specifically formulated for your hair type to minimize potential damage.
- Determine the Type of Dye: Identify the type of hair dye you’re trying to remove. Some color removers work best on semi-permanent dyes, while others are more effective on permanent or oxidative dyes. Make sure the product you choose is designed to target the specific type of dye you want to remove.
- Check for Safe Ingredients: Look for hair color removers that use safe and gentle ingredients to minimize hair damage. Ingredients like ammonia, bleach, or harsh chemicals can be harsh on the hair, so opt for products that prioritize hair health and contain nourishing ingredients.
- Test Patch and Strand: Before applying any hair color remover to your entire head, perform a patch test and a strand test to ensure you’re not allergic to the product and to see how it reacts with your hair. This will help you assess the effectiveness and potential side effects before committing to a full application.
- Follow Instructions Carefully: Once you’ve chosen a hair color remover, carefully read and follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer. Pay attention to the recommended processing time, application techniques, and aftercare steps to achieve the best results.
- Seek Professional Advice if Needed: If you’re unsure about the best hair color remover for your specific situation or if you have concerns about potential damage, it’s always a good idea to consult a professional hairstylist or colorist. They can provide personalized advice and guidance based on your hair’s needs.
Remember that hair color removers may not always completely remove all traces of dye, especially if it’s a permanent or dark color. In some cases, additional treatments or professional help may be necessary to achieve the desired result.
the hair color remover made me have black, purple, blue and brown hair at the same time lmao but i used some purple hair dye after it aND IT WORKED WOOOOHHH!!!!!!! https://t.co/01MhUJBvyo pic.twitter.com/4v0W1E28uj— 🌸🌻🌱caruka 🌱🌻🌸 (@Caruka_chan) May 18, 2023
How can I strip my hair color at home?
They don’t alter your natural hair color. That’s a job for bleach or hair dye. Hair color removers strip the strands of artificial, semi-permanent color. They cannot and do not affect the natural pigment of your hair.
- Hair color removers cannot de-bleach your hair either. So if you’ve bleached your hair to lighten them before applying hair dye, they will leave your hair in their bleached state.
- Do your research. A good hair dye remover will contain ingredients like hydrosulfite, peroxide, ammonium chloride, and sodium lauryl sulfate.
- Some color removal products have a pungent smell because of the sulfur in the formulation that goes away only with a thorough rinsing. It’s also better if you crack a window open during the removal process.
- We won’t lie. Color removal products do contain a lot of chemicals. But they are necessary to get the job done. So if you’re prone to sensitive skin or allergies, even a little peroxide in the remover can trigger them. Always do a patch test before using a hair color remover.
- How soon do you want your current hair dye gone? This is the question to ask yourself before buying any color stripping product. Are you okay with a gradual decrease in hair color? If so, you can simply use a clarifying shampoo over a few days which is good for hair loss too. Do you want to recolor your hair instantly? In that case, a harsher hair dye remover is needed.
- Another thing to remember before buying a hair color remover is the type of dye you’ve used on your hair. Is it a permanent dye that you want gone? Or do you simply want to tone down the hue a bit?
- Using a strong hair color remover that is created for permanently-dyed hair on semi-permanent or temporary colors does not wash them out quickly or more efficiently. You might even damage your hair in the process. Always pick a hair color remover that suits the dye.
- If you’ve got pink, blue or red, or any other brightly-hued hair dye, the hair dye remover needs put in some extra work. The pigments of these hair dyes are just too intense! So you need to pick out a remover with ingredients like ammonia in it.
How Does A Hair Dye Remover Work?
It’s simple actually. When you dye your hair, the color shows up as the result of the color pigments covering the strands.
The hair dye remover penetrates the hair shaft and dissolves the links holding the color pigment molecules together.
So after some time, the color pigments are not as firmly attached to the hair. They then wash off while rinsing.
There are also hair dye removers that remove only certain tones or hues from the hair color while leaving others alone.
So if you’re looking to go platinum blonde, a hair color toner helps get rid of those golden or reddish highlights in the strands.
And they do this by depositing purple or blue color on the hair.
How do you get permanent hair dye out of your hair fast?
If you want to get rid of permanent hair dye quickly try washing your tresses with sulfate-based shampoos that can strip the color.
Using hot water can also help remove the color pigments from the strands.
But sulfate-based shampoos and constantly using hot water can leave your hair dry and damaged.
So the best way to get permanent hair dye out of your hair quickly is using an ammonia-free hair dye remover.
What is the least damaging hair color remover?
The least damaging hair color removers are those that don’t have chemicals like ammonia, bleach, sulfate, harsh salts, etc.
Among our list of the best hair color removers, the Color Oops Hair Color Remover is the least damaging.
It has not harmful chemicals and is so mild that you can recolor your tresses on the same day without any worry.
Should You Recolor Your Hair On The Same Day?
The instructions on the box might say yes. But we think you should wait a bit.
At least a few days, and especially if your hair looks brittle and dry after the hair coloring session. The strong chemicals in the remover can make things worse.
But if you’re set on recoloring your hair the same day, you should make sure to use a hair dye that’s at least two shades lighter than your natural hair color.
The chemicals in the hair color remover tend to leave it porous. This causes any hair dye to appear darker and more intense.
If you’re looking to apply permanent hair dye or fancy colors like reds, pinks, or blues, you can recolor on the same day with temporary hair color that is closest to your natural hair tone.
And leave the permanent color for a week later when your hair is less porous.
I think these hair color removers are amazing, and recommended them for both men & women. Take a look!
Color Oops Hair Color Remover Extra Conditioning
Best Ammonia-Free Hair Color Remover
We like the Color Oops hair dye remover because it not only focuses on getting rid of your current hair color, but it also tries to nourish your hair in the process.
The hydrosulfite formulation is gentle and lacks ammonia or bleach.
The hair dye remover contains aloe vera and soy protein, that strengthen the hair strands, reduce frizz, and leave the hair soft and shiny.
As it is free of ammonia or other strong chemicals, the Color Oops hair color remover works well on semi-permanent and temporary hair dyes.
We do not recommend it for pink, blue, purple, and other very bright tones.
This hair dye remover is also very easy to apply.
All you need to do is pour the conditioning serum into the color-removing formula, which comes in a handy bottle with an applicator tip.
Works well on all hair types
Works within just 20 minutes.
Contains no ammonia or bleach
Safe to re-colour hair on the same day after this product has been used.
Has a strong smell.
Color X-Change Phase-Out Gentle Dye Decolorizer + Intensive Hair Mask
Best Hair Color Remover For Dry Hair
This hair dye remover is your best bet if you have damaged hair. Or if you’re worried about making the strands too dry.
The Color X-Change is completely free of ammonia, peroxide, or sulfates. It doesn’t even contain fragrances or ethyl alcohol. It’s cruelty-free and super-easy to use too!
Just mix the ‘phase-out’ packet with water to create a jelly-like consistency, leave it on for the night, and rinse it off in the morning.
The catch here is that this remover works best on only semi permanent hair color. Also, you have to wait for at least a week before recoloring or bleaching hair.
Other than that, this is one of the top hair color removers on this list.
There is also an intensive hair mask that comes along with the remover that acts as a deep conditioner.
Using this conditioning treatment after using the color stripper leaves your mane soft and silky.
Free from parabens, ammonia, sulfates, and peroxide.
Recolouring within just 20 minutes.
Relatively cheaper than other such products.
Takes around 8 hours to decolourize and must be left overnight.
- Related: How To Remove Semi-Permanent Hair Dye From Bleached Hair
- Related: Best Japanese hair dye
- Related: Best dry shampoo for color treated hair
Roux Clean Touch Hair Color Stain Remover
Best Hair Dye Remover From Skin
Got pesky dye stains on your hairline or neck? The Roux Clean Touch hair color stain remover will take care of those.
It’s super gentle on the skin. And very easy to use too. Pour a bit of this stain remover on a cotton pad and dab it on the colored skin. Voila! No more stains.
The best part of the Roux stain remover is that it works on colored ends of the hair as well.
So if you’ve got an intense shade on the ends, massage the dye remover on the strands. The color seems significantly lighter after rinsing.
Works well on all hair types.
Can be used to even remove stains from skin and clothes.
Removes colour from hair tips.
Cannot be used all over the hair.
L’Oreal Effasol Color Remover
Best Hair Color Remover For Black Hair
If you’re looking for a salon-style finish, the Effasol remover from L’Oreal might be the one for you.
What we loved most about the Effasol is that you can use it for all types of hair dye. Have a bright hair color?
Use this remover with the L’Oreal developer. Hair color’s faded or light? All you need to do is mix it with warm water.
And since each pack contains six packets, the Effasol color remover works for any hair length.
A word of caution. The L’Oreal Effasol color remover contains persulfate as the main color-stripping (oxidizing) agent.
So, your hair might end up a shade lighter than its original color and become a tad too dry.
Works best on normal hair types.
Relatively cheaper than other such products.
Colour B4 Hair Colour Remover Extra Strength
Best Hair Colour Remover For Dark Hair
If you’ve dyed your hair in a very dark color or have multiple color applications, then try this hair dye remover.
The Colour B4 remover is great for permanent and semi-permanent dyes in dark brown and other tones. It works wonders on vivid colors like reds, blues, and purples too.
The best thing about this product is that it is free of ammonia or bleach. So there are no worries about damaging the hair strands.
Apply the remover, comb it in, and wait for an hour. Rinse off to get rid of your dye job completely.
Works within 60 minutes of application.
Free from ammonia.
Works best on normal hair types.
More expensive compared to other such products available in the market.
Joico Hair Color Remover
Best Hair Dye Remover For Blue or Pink Hair
The Joico Color Eraser is made for rainbow hair and all the individual colors on its spectrum.
So if you’ve got a direct dye in an intense pink or cherry red color on your hair, this remover will take it off in a jiffy.
But as these colors tend to be more bright, you have to mix the remover with a 20 volume developer (10 volume developer if your hair color is already faded).
The color eraser is enriched with amino acids and keratin too. So your hair stays conditioned during the color-stripping process. You can even re-color instantly!
Attaches directly onto the hair strand and neutralizes the colour.
Prevents hair colour from fading.
Free from parabens.
Lasts even upto 12 washes.
Has a citrus fragrance not suitable to all.
Powertools CBC Color Balance Corrector
Best For Blonde Hair
Blondes have more fun. But getting that perfect platinum color can be anything but that.
Bleaching the hair is essential to get the right shade, especially if you have naturally darker hair.
But doing so can bring out red, yellow, and brass tones in the hair, which interfere with the blonde hair dye.
This is where purple shampoos and color correctors, like this one from Powertools CBC, come in.
The Powertools CBC color balance corrector can be mixed with any shampoo or conditioner.
Its blue pigment works its magic in just 5-10 minutes.
So if you’re planning on going ash or platinum blonde, or dyeing your hair a fashionable grey color, try this color corrector after bleaching.
Bold Uniq Purple Shampoo
Best Purple Shampoo
Just like the balance corrector from above, the Bold Uniq purple shampoo is also created to get those red, brassy, and yellow tones out of bleached hair.
The violet tints in this shampoo keep the reds and golds out of your hair. And as it does not contain any parabens or sulfates, it’s super gentle on your hair too.
The best part? You can use it just like any other shampoo. No fuss needed.
The Bold Uniq shampoo also filters out UV rays, keeping your hair color looking brilliant.
Prell Shampoo Classic Clean
Best Hair Dye Removing Shampoo
Yes, the good old Prell shampoo. Don’t be shocked. If your main goal is to lighten a more intense shade of hair color, then using Prell is a fantastic idea.
This shampoo uses surfactants called sulfates (mostly sodium laureth sulfate) that are not usually recommended for daily washing.
But they get the job done if you want to remove the color pigments from the strands.
They’re also less abrasive than chemical hair color removers any day.
Especially if the removers contain ammonia or peroxides. If you have oily hair, you can consider shampoos made for oily hair.
Neutrogena Anti-Residue Clarifying Shampoo
Best Hair Dye Remover For Temporary Hair Color
If you’re not in a rush to get rid of your hair color, using a sulfate-based shampoo like the Neutrogena anti residue clarifying shampoo is a good idea. Especially if you wash your hair frequently.
This shampoo contains ingredients like sodium laureth sulfate and sodium hydroxide.
Both of these components are known as surfactants that remove color pigments along with debris and natural oils from the hair strands.
Plus, the Neutrogena shampoo contains glycerin and hydrogenated castor oil, so you won’t have to worry about your hair getting too dry.
The catch here is that you have to use the shampoo many times to get results.
If you’ve got time and are hesitant to subject your hair to strong chemical removers, this is the right pick for you.
Malibu C Color Remover
Fastest Hair Dye Remover
This Malibu Color Correction product is one the best hair color removers out there if you’re in a hurry. It just takes five minutes to work! Plus, the single use packets are super-efficient too.
It’s easy to use, and you don’t need to go to a salon for it. Just mix the Malibu C color remover with water and apply it after shampooing you hair. In just minutes, your tresses look about three shades lighter.
And the best part? The vegan formula is very gentle on your hair, so you don’t have to worry about it stripping the natural color of your tresses.
Colorfix Hair Color Remover
Best For Permanent Hair Dye
The best hair dye remover is one which not just removes hair color but also nourishes your hair.
And the colorfix color corrector does exactly that! The argan oil formulation is perfect for dry tresses.
If you’re looking for something to get rid of permanent hair dye, we suggest trying this product.
But be warned, it can be too strong on semi-permanent and temporary hair dyes.
We also liked that the product comes in customizable package. So you can mix the hair color remover according to length of your tresses.
Life’s too short to have one hair color. So keep it fresh and change it up frequently (within reason, of course).
Try a dark shade one time, go platinum blonde for a special occasion. Or maybe even jump on the unicorn hair bandwagon.
All you need to do is pick from the best hair color removers for your hair to get rid of your previous color and pick out a fresh color to reinvent yourself.
New color, new you!
Why You Should Trust Haireveryday?
The author of this article, Leah Marie Priest has a degree in Cosmetology with years of experience in dealing with hair care, scalp care, and hairstyling. As someone who extensively deals with all kinds of hair textures, products, styling methods and more, hair Leah Marie knows what kind of products and procedures suit each hair type and person. We have also tested these hair products and processes ourselves to provide you an unbiased review about every product. Each of our articles are also reviewed by a team of medical professionals so that you get the most accurate and expert-reviewed information.
- Best keratin shampoos for damaged hair
- Best safe hair dye for pregnancy
- Best color depositing shampoos for grey hair
- Best OGX shampoos
Color Oops Developlus Color Remover
By using hair color removers you can change hair color and get rid of bad hair dye. The Color Oops Developlus Color Remover is suitable for all hair types.
Product SKU: ZRBKW48TGV2
Product Brand: Color Oops
Product Currency: USD
Product Price: $13.50
Price Valid Until: 2024-11-01
Product In-Stock: InStock