Explore the Ultimate Guide to the Best Menthol Shampoos. Discover top-rated options for a refreshing and invigorating hair cleansing experience. Revitalize your scalp and promote hair health with our expert recommendations. Find your perfect menthol-infused shampoo now!
- We asked our medical reviewer Dr Bhavika about the presence of menthol in shampoos. Here’s what she had to say:
- “Menthol shampoos benefit your hair in many ways. Menthol stimulates the scalp, which opens up the follicles and helps to promote healthy hair growth.”
- She also adds that these shampoos “helps to cleanse and condition the hair, helping to prevent dirt and oil buildup, making it a great product for those with oily hair. In addition, the invigorating smell of menthol is pleasant and often acts as a natural stress reliever.”
- Dr Bhavika also adds that “Menthol shampoos can be used for people of all hair types, but it is especially beneficial for those with dandruff or scalp irritations. It can help provide relief from itchy, flaky scalps, as well as help to improve the overall look and feel of the hair by reducing frizz and improving shine.“
Here are our top picks for the best menthol shampoos!
|Best Menthol Shampoos||Best For||Chief Ingredients|
|Videri Peppermint + Tea Tree Non Sulfate||Sensitive Scalp||Peppermint Oil, Tea Tree Oil, Aloe Vera|
|OGX Hydrating + Tea Tree Mint Shampoo||Oily Scalp||Tea Tree Oil, Peppermint Oil, Milk Protein|
|Head & Shoulders Anti-Dandruff Shampoo||Dandruff||Zinc Pyrithione – 1%|
|Dove Men+Care 2 in 1 Shampoo and Conditioner||Inflammation||Menthol and Caffeine|
|CP-1 Cool Mint Shampoo||Sensitive Scalp||Peppermint Oil, Spearmint Extracts|
|Honeydew Invigorating Mint Tea Tree Shampoo||Colored Hair||Tea Tree, Peppermint, Rosemary Oils|
|Beast Menthol Shampoo||Hair Loss||Menthol, Tea Tree Oil, Peppermint Oil, Caffeine, Green Tea, Ginseng, Vitamin C|
|Rocky Mountain Barber Company Forest Mint Shampoo||Dry, Itchy Scalp||Tea Tree, Peppermint, Eucalyptus Oils|
Why You Should Trust Haireveryday?
The author of this article, Leah Marie Priest has a degree in Cosmetology with years of experience in dealing with hair care, scalp care, and hairstyling. As someone who extensively deals with all kinds of hair textures, products, styling methods and more, hair Leah Marie knows what kind of products and procedures suit each hair type and person. We have also tested these hair products and processes ourselves to provide you an unbiased review about every product. Each of our articles are also reviewed by a team of medical professionals so that you get the most accurate and expert-reviewed information.
Top Menthol Shampoos 2023
Videri Peppermint & Tea Tree Shampoo
I recently had the pleasure of trying out the Videri Peppermint & Tea Tree Shampoo, and I must say, it has been a truly invigorating experience for my hair care routine. From the moment I opened the bottle, I loved the refreshing aroma of peppermint and tea tree oil that enveloped me.
The combination of peppermint and tea tree oil also provides a soothing sensation when massaged into the scalp. The shampoo lathers up beautifully, allowing me to gently cleanse my hair and scalp while offering a subtle tingling sensation that feels incredibly revitalizing.
According to this study by Kamatou, Guy P P et al. “Menthol: a simple monoterpene with remarkable biological properties.” Phytochemistry vol. 96 (2013): 15-25. doi:10.1016/j.phytochem.2013.08.005, menthol doesn’t just give you a cooling sensation, it also has “antibacterial, antifungal, antipruritic, anticancer and analgesic effects“.
Another of the standout features of this shampoo is its natural formulation. It is free from harsh chemicals like sulfates and parabens. After each use, my hair felt remarkably clean, light, and full of volume, without any dryness or irritation.
I think the Videri Peppermint & Tea Tree Shampoo is just for you if you’re looking for a shampoo that not only cleanses effectively but also provides a refreshing sensory experience. Just be mindful if you’re sensitive to strong scents or cooling sensations.
- Invigorating peppermint and tea tree aroma.
- Refreshing and cooling sensation on the scalp.
- Natural formulation, free from sulfates and parabens.
- Gently cleanses without stripping natural oils.
- Leaves hair feeling clean, light, and voluminous.
- The strong peppermint scent might not be suitable for those sensitive to fragrances.
- The cooling sensation might feel intense for some individuals.
OGX Hydrating + Tea Tree Mint Shampoo
The OGX Tea Tree mint shampoo is quite popular. So I had to try it. And the best part is that this drugstore shampoo was so easy on my wallet!
But the shampoo didn’t impress me much. I liked how cleansing it was, yes. But unfortunately, it only suits people with really oily hair.
If you have dry tresses please keep away from this shampoo as it will leave your hair a tangled mess.
However, if you have really oily scalp and dandruff, this shampoo will help clean it up in a jiffy.
It contains peppermint oil and tea tree oil, which are fantastic antibacterial and antifungal agents!
I was rather disappointed to see perfume and artificial colorants in here. It can irritate your scalp if you have psoriasis or other scalp conditions.
And despite being sulfate-free there are several (milder) surfactants like Cocamide DEA and Cocamidopropyl Betaine that can strip hair color. So give it a pass if you have color-treated hair.
- Cleans scalp buildup
- Controls dandruff and flaking
- Helps with fungal infections on the scalp
- Lovely mint fragrance
- Contains silicones and milder surfactants
- Added perfume and dyes make it unsuitable for sensitive scalp types
- Very drying for hair
Related: Best OGX Shampoos
Head and Shoulders Cool Menthol Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
Now, who hasn’t heard of Head and Shoulders? It’s perhaps the first product to come to mind when we talk about menthol shampoos!
And this classic brand isn’t a letdown, at least where it matters. It’s advertised as an anti-dandruff shampoo and that’s exactly what it does.
This product contains 1 percent zinc pyrithione and menthol that helps get rid of stubborn dandruff flakes and other scalp disorder. According to this study published in the BioMed International Volume, menthol is also an effective tropical remedy for Scalp Pruritus(Rattanakaemakorn, Ploysyne, and Poonkiat Suchonwanit. “Scalp Pruritus: Review of the Pathogenesis, Diagnosis, and Management.” BioMed research international vol. 2019 1268430. 15 Jan. 2019, doi:10.1155/2019/1268430).
However, this means there’s also sulfates that help clean scalp buildup and crust formation. So remember this shampoo isn’t made for daily use, no matter what the packaging says.
You might want to try milder, sulfate-free versions of an anti-dandruff shampoo if you have very dry scalps or color-treated hair.
But if not, this classic shampoo is a great choice!
- Very effective at removing dandruff as it contains zinc pyrithione
- Helps remove excess oil from hair as it contains sulfates
- Cool, refreshing feeling due to the menthol
- Contains sulfates so it’s not for dry, damaged or color-treated hair
- Can be drying due to the presence of harsh surfactants
Dove Men+Care 2 in 1 Menthol Shampoo and Conditioner
If you’ve got oily hair and a mild dandruff problem, then this Dove Men+ Shampoo is a better option than the powerful Head and Shoulders one.
First, let’s get to what I liked about the shampoo – it contains caffeine. Now caffeine is an excellent hair growth tonic as it stimulates the hair follicles to enter their growth stage.
And what I didn’t like? It comes formulated with sulfates (Sodium Laureth Sulfate) and so I wouldn’t recommend it for people with dry or sensitive scalps.
Also, the strong mint smell is not everyone’s cup of tea!
The scent is due to an added perfume not from natural essential oils. So people with psoriasis and scalp acne should steer clear from this shampoo.
- Good for oily scalps as it contains tea tree oil
- Helps with hair growth with the rosemary oil
- Controls milder forms of dandruff
- Can dry hair as it contains strong surfactants
- Contains artificial colorants and perfume
- Fragrance is too strong
CP-1 Cool Mint Shampoo
You have no idea how ecstatic I was to finally find a mild, sulfate-free shampoo!
Folks with sensitive scalps and colored hair – here’s your holy grail!
The CP-1 shampoo contains peppermint oil and spearmint extract that cool down your scalp and help control excess oil production.
If you’ve got a lot of product buildup on your scalp and clogged follicles, this shampoo promises to give your scalp a deep clean.
So what’s the catch? I did pay a bit more for this CP-1 shampoo than I did for OGX and Head and Shoulders, but I thought it was worth it.
- No sulfates, parabens or silicones so it’s good for sensitive scalps
- Helps balance the pH of scalp
- Balances oil production so it’s good for oiliness
- Deep cleans clogged hair follicles
- A bit pricey
- The pump was faulty
- Related: Best Shampoos For Dry Itchy Scalp
- Related: Best Shampoos For Bald Head
- Related: Best Anti-Dandruff Shampoo For Men
Honeydew Invigorating Mint Tea Tree Shampoo
Now here’s another fantastic sulfate-free menthol shampoo. I simply love Honeydew Shampoos as they’re totally natural.
And this product’s chief ingredients are peppermint, rosemary, and tea tree essential oils. So you don’t have to worry about harsh chemicals stripping your hair of moisture and dye.
Actually, out of all the clarifying shampoos I’ve used, this one is the mildest. And yes, it does contain mild surfactants but it doesn’t dry your hair as much.
I also give it bonus points for being vegan and cruelty-free!
- Clarifying yet mild so it’s good for sensitive scalp with oily hair
- Helps reduce dandruff, redness, and inflammation
- Mild, natural fragrance
- Leaves hair thick and bouncy
- Doesn’t suit coily African American hair as it isn’t moisturizing
Beast Menthol Shampoo
If you’re looking for a menthol shampoo with that suits irritated, sensitive scalps then this is it!
The Beast shampoo is cruelty-free and doesn’t contain harmful chemicals including sulfates, parabens, DEA, petrolatum, silicones and more.
So your scalp and hair are protected from dryness, itchiness, and more.
But my favorite part about this shampoo is the presence of DHT blockers like ginseng, caffeine, etc.
They really help in stimulating new hair growth and prevent hair loss.
My only issue is the size of the bottle. I felt the price is way to high for the product quantity given.
I liked the menthol scent but I feel it might be too overpowering for some users.
- All-natural ingredients
- No sulfates or silicones
- Helps stimulate hair growth
- Contains DHT blockers
- Strong menthol scent
Rocky Mountain Barber Company Forest Mint Shampoo
I had already reviewed a lot of beard oils and such from Rocky Mountain Barber company so I was pleasantly surprised to find a menthol shampoo from the same brand.
The first thing I noticed about this shampoo was its scent. There are no added fragrances here, yet it has a very refreshing scent – a mix of mint and pine needles!
It’s got the trifecta of Peppermint Oil, Tea Tree Oil, and Eucalyptus Oil that helps control dandruff, reduce itching and inflammation, and reduce excess oil production on your scalp.
This Rocky Mountain shampoo is technically sulfate-free. But it still has quite a bit of surfactants like Ammonium Laureth Sulfate and Disodium Lauryl Sulfosuccinate.
Now, these are mild and not as harmful as SLS or SLES. But they can still strip hair color, so be careful.
Also, due to the lack of SLS and SLES, the shampoo will not produce as much lather. So don’t worry about that.
- Free from SLS/SLES
- Helps control dandruff and oily scalp
- Pleasant mint and pine fragrance
- Doesn’t rather well
- The formula has a thin consistency
- Can dry your hair
How to choose the best menthol shampoo for your hair?
When it comes to choosing the best menthol shampoo for your hair, it’s important to consider your lifestyle, hair type and the specific benefits of using a menthol-infused shampoo. Everyone’s hair is different, so what works for one person won’t necessarily work for another. The key is finding the right product for you.
Check Customer Reviews
Before purchasing a menthol shampoo, take the time to research different brands and products online. Compare shampoos from a variety of manufacturers, looking at both ingredient lists and customer reviews. Doing some reading up on the benefits of a menthol shampoo will also help you understand the kind of effects you can expect from the product.
What You Need The Menthol Shampoo For
For instance, menthol tends to provide a cooling effect on the scalp, making it a great choice for those who suffer from itchy and flaky scalp conditions. It also strengthens the hair strands and provides shine, so it’s perfect for those who are after a more voluminous appearance. Similarly, if you’re looking to combat thinning or greying hair, menthol shampoos can often contain additional ingredients that help to combat these issues.
Consider Your Hair Type
When considering the best menthol shampoo for you, it’s important to take into account your hair type. For instance, if you have dry and brittle hair, menthol shampoo is unlikely to suit your hair type, as it can be too harsh and potentially worsen the dryness. Alternatively, those with oily hair are likely to benefit from the deep cleansing effect of menthol.
Strength of Formula
Finally, when selecting your new shampoo, make sure to read the directions carefully. Some menthol-infused shampoos can be used every day, whereas others recommend a more occasional use. Furthermore, always pay attention to the ingredients list, as some products may contain harsh ingredients like sulfates, parabens and fragrances that can make your hair feel heavy and irritated.
In conclusion, finding the best menthol shampoo for your hair will depend on your individual hair type, lifestyle and preferences. It’s worth taking the time to do some research and read reviews before committing to a certain shampoo.
What Are The Benefits Of Using Menthol Shampoo
I have listed out the top menthol shampoos in this article and reviewed the same. However, why do we use menthol shampoo at all? Is it really good for hair? Well, here are a few reasons why menthol shampoo is good for hair.
- Menthol Helps Reduce Dandruff – As menthol has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties it can help reduce the reason for dandruff formation on scalp.
- Menthol Reduces Smelly Scalps – And for the same reason given above, I suggest menthol based shampoos if you want to control unseemly smell in your scalp.
- It Helps Cool Down Your Scalp – The menthol in shampoos leaves a cool, tingling feeling on your scalp which feels great on your scalp during summer.
- It Helps Reduce Oiliness – Menthol shampoos can also help regulate sebum production in your scalp and helps reduce oiliness.
- It Might Improve Hair Growth – Menthol in the shampoo helps increase blood circulation as it is a vasodilator. A vasodilator is something that can slightly expand your blood capillaries including blood flow to your scalp. er
FAQs about Shampoos with Menthol
A lot of people think menthol shampoos are great for the summer due to their cooling effect.
But they can be used all year round. Most peppermint oil-based menthol shampoos help in reducing dandruff, which can be a great problem during winters.
Also, menthol-based shampoos are fantastic for clearing up hairstyling products and grease buildup from your scalp.
So you can use it just once a week for this purpose instead of using it as a daily shampoo.
No matter what menthol shampoo you pick, make sure to tailor your shampoo sessions to your hair needs to get the best results!
CP-1 Cool Mint Shampoo
The best menthol shampoos give your scalp a cool feeling and reduce dandruff, ithcing and oiliness. The CP-1 Cool Mint Shampoo is sulfate-free and safe for all hair types.
Product SKU: CP2BBJKWR7884UV
Product Brand: CP-1
Product Currency: USD
Product Price: 21.20
Price Valid Until: 2025-05-03
Product In-Stock: InStock