Many men wonder can their hair grow back after balding?
This article is going to answer that question and dispel all the myths around balding for you.
Maybe you have a history of baldness in your family and are experiencing hair loss in your younger years. Or maybe you’ve just noticed the first signs of a bald spot forming.
Either way, this article is going to show you how to treat the symptoms of balding.
Our hair is precious to us. When it starts to disappear it can really knock the confidence. Reports have shown that 38% of UK men said that hair loss and balding made them feel depressed.
Check out our pick for hair loss products here. These are what we have used.
Why Do Men Go Bald?
One of the main reasons men go bald is from a hereditary condition called androgenetic alopecia. This is more commonly called male pattern baldness.
An inherited condition, its caused by having hair follicles that are sensitive to the male hormone dihydrotestosterone (DHT).
Because of this sensitivity, the affected hair follicles shrink over time decreasing their lifespan. Eventually, these follicles will cease hair regeneration causing male pattern baldness.
Other factors that contribute to hair fall are stress, bad diet, lifestyle and certain types of medications.
Can Hair Grow Back After Balding?
To begin, you have to determine whether your hair loss is due to thinning or actual balding.
Once you know the cause of your hair loss, you can take the best course of action for you. Baldness and thinning will be treated in different ways.
Ask yourself these questions;
- Does balding run in the family? This could point to male pattern baldness which is a genetic condition.
- Do you have a receding hair line or loss of hair on the crown? Hair loss in these areas generally points to baldness. More random hair loss may point to hair thinning.
- Are you entering your twilight years? As we get older, hair will naturally thin and may not mean you’re going bald.
- Do you have an extremely stressful lifestyle? Stress is a cause of hair loss in men and women. Try decreasing stress levels if you notice your hair thinning.
- Do you take any medications or suffer from any medical conditions? Hormonal and chemical imbalances, thyroid problems and some other medical conditions can cause hair loss.
- Is your diet and lifestyle unhealthy? An unhealthy diet low in essential vitamins can contribute to hair thinning.
- Have you recently had a dramatic weight loss? Dramatic and sudden weight loss has been known to cause hair thinning and hair loss.
If you’ve determined you are actually going bald, not just experiencing hair thinning, you have a few options.
Being in the later stages of male pattern baldness means there are less options available. But, all is not lost! You can use slightly more invasive treatments like follicular unit extraction (FUE) treatment or hair plugs.
If you’re in the early to middle stages of male pattern baldness (i.e. a small bald spot or a receding hairline) there are multiple treatment options available with great success rates.
Best Proven Hair Loss Treatments for Balding
Two of the best treatments for male pattern baldness are minoxidil and finasteride.
Minoxidil is a topical treatment that works by promoting blood flow to the hair follicles. It was originally used as a blood pressure medication, which came with a side effect – excessive hair growth!
Studies have shown a 64% success rate for people using minoxidil for balding.
Finasteride is generally an oral medication that works by inhibiting the formation of DHT in the bloodstream. DHT is the male hormone that is the main cause of male pattern baldness.
Reports show finasteride to have an impressive 84% success rate. But it’s important to understand that results will vary person to person and may take up to 6 months to show.
Using these treatments, it’s likely you can prevent any further balding and may see an increase in hair growth.
Talk to your doctor about these hair loss treatments.
Other Hair Loss Treatments to Consider
Taking medications for hair loss are not the only option for balding. There are many other recommended hair loss treatments worth trying out. Here are some more options;
- Steroid injections
- Steroid creams
- Laser treatment
- Hair transplant surgery
- Artificial hair transplant
- Hair tattooing
Can Hair Grow Back After Balding – Final Thoughts…
Male pattern baldness is an inherited condition. If steps are taken early enough, it is possible to stop the signs of balding.
Minoxidil and finasteride are the two most successful treatments that may prevent further hair loss in balding men.
Talk with your doctor to see if these medications would be right for you.
Leah LOVES hair. So much so, she dedicated an entire website to it! One of the founders of Hair Everyday and Chief Editor, Leah enjoys reviewing all the hair products and showcasing the best. She believes her most underrated articles are her hair care tips!