Check out this article to learn how to use hair chalk. The temporary hair chalk is great for kids as its free of harsh chemical dyes.
One of the biggest reasons for damaged hair I’ve seen as a cosmetologist is frequent use of hair dye. This is especially true if you have black or dark colored hair as there is no way you can apply bright hair colors like pink, blue, or even blondes without bleaching your hair.
So is there a solution? Yup, just use hair chalk! It’s the easiest way to get temporary hair color.
Hair chalk is a strong pigmented dye-like substance that doesn’t penetrate the cuticles of your hair like regular hair dye does. Instead it forms a coating over your hair strands giving them a new color.
Most hair chalks are not just “chalks”. They can be either hair coloring pens (that work similar to markers), hair coloring combs or even sprays.
A little rain or sweat and these hair chalks can bleed. So be very careful where and when you are using these products.
Why You Should Trust Haireveryday?
The author of this article, Leah Marie Priest has a degree in Cosmetology with years of experience in dealing with hair care, scalp care, and hairstyling. As someone who extensively deals with all kinds of hair textures, products, styling methods and more, hair Leah Marie knows what kind of products and procedures suit each hair type and person. We have also tested these hair products and processes ourselves to provide you an unbiased review about every product. Each of our articles are also reviewed by a team of medical professionals so that you get the most accurate and expert-reviewed information.
How To Use Hair Chalk Sticks
To use hair chalks on your hair you can follow these steps:
Step 1: Make sure hair is washed and slightly damp before you start using hair chalks as the wetness will help pigment from the chalk “stick” better on your hair.
Step 2: Take the chalk stick and rub it over the section of hair you want colored. Go all the way from the root to the tip of the hair, twisting the hair into itself as you move.
Step 3: Dry the newly-colored hair section with a blow dryer to let the color sink in.
Step 4: Apply a dash of leave-in conditioner (preferably one with silicones) or spritz on some hairspray to seal the color on hair, making it difficult to transfer onto skin or clothes.
How To Use Hair Chalk Comb
The easiest way to use hair chalk is to get a hair chalk comb. However keep in mind that hair chalk covers a lot thicker section of hair than traditional chalk sticks or even pens or liquids.
So if you want smaller dabs of color on your hairstyle this is not the right product for you.
But if you want to give your hair the “dip dye” effect or want to create longer hair highlights, these hair chalk combs are the easiest ones to use.
To use hair chalk combs you need to follow these three steps:
Step 1: Wet your hair a little to help the hair chalk stick better
Step 2: Hold the comb in your hair and brush through your hair as you would any other time
Step 3: Dry your hair with a blow dryer to seal in the color and use hair spray afterwards if required to “set” the color.
How To Use Liquid Hair Chalk Pens
Liquid hair chalk looks and feels very similar to a liquid lipstick or colored gloss. As there is a higher possibility of you staining your clothes, I’d suggest wearing something old while applying liquid hair chalk.
You can also drape a towel over your shoulders during the application process.
I also start off with freshly shampooed and slightly damp hair as the hair chalk sticks better and also because you have to use a blow dryer at the end.
Another benefit of starting off with shampooed hair is that you get more time between application of hair chalk and your next shampoo session. So color won’t get washed off sooner.
A liquid hair chalk usually comes with an applicator brush. You can use this brush to color the sections of your hair from root to tip.
Like with any other chalk, dry hair with a blow dryer to seal the color in. You can also add in some leave-in conditioner to keep hair chalk color from bleeding or transferring to your clothes.
Unlike hair chalk sticks or even combs, some liquid chalk formulas tend to last longer. So these might color your hair for even 7-10 days (yes, even after you wash your hair).
How Long Does Hair Chalk Last
Hair chalk can last anywhere from 1-3 days depending on the quality of the hair chalk you use and whether you wash your hair or not.
What shampoo you use is also a deciding factor. Using a surfactant-based shampoo with SLS and SLES will get rid of any hair chalk color in a single wash while color won’t bleed out much with a sulfate-free shampoo.
If you decide to forego washing for 2 days you can preserve the hair color from fading and make it last longer. Applying a silicone-based leave-in conditioner that forms a coating on hair or a hairspray can also help extend the life of the hair chalk.
Tips For Using Hair Chalk For Better Results
- Wear old clothes or a towel around your neck to prevent skin or clothes from getting stained from the chalk.
- Start off with damp hair to help the color pigment from hair stick better
- If you have blonde hair then you can leave hair dry before using hair chalk.
- If you cannot wet your hair, try spraying on some dry shampoo in the hair section before using chalk. This will give you better texture.
- A leave-in conditioner or serum with silicones can form a coating on hair so you can use these to “lock” the hair chalk color in. It will also give you the bonus of shiny, smooth hair
- It’s better to create your hairstyle and then use hair chalk as you can easily find out what sections or areas of hair you want to color.
- Chalk is absorbent, so it can remove moisture from hair. Use a deep conditioning mask or hair oil after you’ve used hair chalk to keep hair healthy
- Wear a bonnet or use a protective towel over your pillowcases if you’re leaving hair chalk overnight.
How To Remove Hair Chalk From Hair
Removing temporary hair dye from hair can be a daunting task, but with a little patience and some know-how, it can be done. Here are a few tips that should help:
- Shampoo your hair with a sulfate-based clarifying shampoo, then pour a small amount of mild shampoo into your hand and use it to wash the dye off that particular hair section. Make sure to use plenty of lather and keep your head under the water for as long as possible.
- Rinse your hair with cold water several times to get rid of all the soap residue.
- Apply a conditioner to your hair, working it in well. Leave it on for several minutes, then rinse it off.
- Use a mild shampoo again to cleanse your hair completely, then apply a light moisturizer to seal in the moisture.
- Let your hair dry naturally – This is the most important step! If you use any type of harsh chemicals or heat on your hair while it’s still wet, you may end up damaging it further. Simply let your hair dry completely and you’ll be good to go!
Some other ways of removing hair chalk from tresses include:
- Rinsing tresses with micellar water meant for hair
- Using a hot oil conditioning treatment to remove the dye
FAQs on How To Use Hair Chalk
Does hair chalk damage your hair?
Hair chalk is quite literally colored chalk sometimes. It will not damage your hair in any way as it doesn’t contain ingredients like ammonia or peroxide found in regular dyes. A hair chalk just deposits color on your hair and can be washed off with water and shampoo.
How do you use hair chalk on brown hair?
You use hair chalk on brown hair similar to how you would use it on any other color of hair. Press the chalk to the section of hair that needs to be colored and drag it till you cover the hair section completely. You do not need to bleach or lighten brown hair to a blonde beforehand as hair chalks simply deposit color and not penetrate the hair.
Does hair chalk work on dark hair?
Yes absolutely! In fact, I’d say hair chalk is best for dark hair or black haired folks who do not want to bleach hair and still want a lighter hair color. The hair chalk coats dark hair with the required color and doesn’t need hair to be lightened to stay on.
Does hair chalk have chemicals?
Yes. Like any other hair coloring product hair chalk too has some types of chemicals including pigments, dyes, perfumes, preservatives and more. However, it is free of more harmful components like ammonia, hydrogen peroxide, PPD, parabens, etc. It’s very unlikely that hair chalk will damage your hair. However there is a chance you might be allergic to one or more substances in it so please do a patch test before using.
Final Thoughts On How To Use Hair Chalk
Hair chalk can come in many different forms like combs, sprays, sticks and literal chalks. But the formula behind these hair coloring agents is the same. These hair coloring products temporarily color strands by coating them with pigment.
Despite being very temporary and washable, hair chalks are popular as they are very easy to use.
To use these hair chalk products all you have to do is press them onto the section of hair requiring color and letting the pigment transfer to your tresses.
If you’re using a hair chalk comb, it’s a simple matter of brushing your hair like you would any other time.
A hair chalk is, in my opinion, ideal if you want funky hair colors like pink or electric blue on your dark/black hair and do not want to bleach it.