Check out my review for the Luseta Biotin And Collagen Shampoo. Also learn which Luseta shampoo is the best and if the Luseta biotin conditioner is any good!
I was looking for a hair thickening shampoo when I discovered the Luseta Biotin and Collagen shampoo.
My hair texture was, in the beginning, quite thick and straight. However, it has been through a lot of coloring, bleaching and heat styling treatments and the result is that my tresses look very thin and limp.
So I was desperate for a product that added both volume and thickness to my individual strands.
When I heard about this particular Luseta product I was intrigued as its chief ingredients are biotin and collagen which are the building blocks of hair cells and give it their elasticity, bounce, and strength.
I used this shampoo (along with the Luseta conditioner) for 5 weeks and in this article below I will explain in detail how it went.
Luseta Biotin And Collagen Shampoo Review
The Luseta Biotin And Collagen Shampoo: At A Glance
- Is It Sulfate Free – Yes
- Top Ingredients – Biotin, Collagen, Argan Oil
- Who It’s Suitable For – People with Thin, Damaged Hair
- Fragrance – Subtle Floral Fragrance (From Perfume Source)
- Is It Colored Hair-Friendly – Yes
- Is It Good For Sensitive Scalp – Yes
- Price Range – $$ (Affordable)
How I tested the Luseta Biotin and Collagen shampoo?
On using the Luseta shampoo I decided to rate it on a scale of 1-5 based on certain criteria. I used this shampoo mainly to help my thin, limp hair. So I decided to use the following factors.
- Hair Cleansing Ability – Obviously the first thing about a shampoo I checked is whether it cleansed all dirt and debris from my scalp.
- Gentleness – I looked if the shampoo contains sulfates, alcohols, perfumes or other harsh ingredients
- Hair Thickening Ability – I noted how well the shampoo worked at thickening my individual hair strands and how much it increased hair volume
- Hair Strengthening Ability – My hair had also suffered considerable heat-related damage so I checked if the shampoo helped at all in restoring hair’s integrity or at least reducing some damage symptoms like split ends or frizz
About The Luseta Beauty Brand
Luseta was founded in Los Angeles in 2011 with an aim to provide salon quality products to everyone. What drew me to this brand is that the shampoos (and other hair products) in their lines are made in cruelty-free laboratories. This was something I was a huge fan of.
Also, a lot of their shampoos have natural ingredients and most are devoid of harsh sulfates so they are by default color-safe. I was also intrigued by how the shampoos are quite affordable despite their high end formulas.
Luseta Biotin And Collagen Shampoo Ingredients Explained
Water, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Polyquaternium-7, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Acrylates Copolymer, Cocamide MEA, Glycol Distearate, Parfum, Glycerin, Benzyl Alcohol, Sodium Isostearoyl Lactate, Phenoxyethanol, Glyceryl Laurate, Sodium Benzoate, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Sodium Hyaluronate, PEG-150 Distearate, Tetrasodium EDTA, PPG-28-Buteth-35, PEG-14M, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Butylene Glycol, Biotin, Niacinamide, Ci 17200, Ci 60730
Here is a breakdown of all the ingredients and what they do for your hair. Check it out to make a well-informed decision for yourself.
|Ingredient Name||What It Does|
|Cocamidopropyl Betaine||surfactant/cleansing, viscosity controlling|
|Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate||surfactant/cleansing|
|Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate||surfactant/cleansing|
|Acrylates Copolymer||viscosity controlling|
|Cocamide MEA||surfactant/cleansing, viscosity controlling, emulsifying|
|Glycol Distearate||emollient, emulsifying, viscosity controlling|
|Glycerin||skin-identical ingredient, moisturizer/humectant|
|Benzyl Alcohol||preservative, perfuming, solvent, viscosity controlling|
|Sodium Isostearoyl Lactate||surfactant/cleansing|
|Glyceryl Laurate||emollient, emulsifying|
|Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose||surfactant/cleansing, viscosity controlling|
|Sodium Hyaluronate||skin-identical ingredient, moisturizer/humectant|
|PEG-150 Distearate||emulsifying, surfactant/cleansing, viscosity controlling|
|Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil||antioxidant, emollient|
|Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract||antioxidant, soothing|
|Butylene Glycol||moisturizer/humectant, solvent|
|Niacinamide||cell-communicating ingredient, skin brightening, anti-acne, moisturizer/humectant|
I really liked the overall formula of the Luseta Biotin and Collagen Shampoo as it uses a milder surfactant like cocamidopropyl betaine instead of your usual SLS and SLES that can strip moisture and hair dye pigments from your hair.
I’ve also explained the benefits of the top ingredients of this shampoo for your hair.
Biotin is a type of vitamin also known as Vitamin B7 or Vitamin H. There has been a lot of noise in the beauty industry these past few years about this vitamin.
From vitamin gummies to supplements to hair products, biotin was everywhere. And for good reason too.
There has been considerable research to establish that biotin helps hair growth and reduction of brittleness of hair and nails.
It is in fact the building block for a lot of the hair cells and helps add thickness and strength to your individual hair strands.
In fact there was a study conducted in 2012 to show the effectiveness of biotin in promoting hair growth. Two groups of subjects were given oral biotin supplements and a placebo respectively.
The study showed that the group of women who had been taking biotin supplements showed much improvement in hair growth.
Collagen is also an essential ingredient for hair growth, thickness and strength. The first reason why collagen works so effectively is because it’s broken down into amino acids in your body.
These amino acids (particularly proline) later form the building blocks of the protein keratin that makes up your hair strands.
Also collagen is what makes up the middle layer of your skin called dermis. Your hair follicle’s root also lies in this skin’s layer.
With age collagen production decreases making your skin sag and your hair fragile as well. The addition of collagen to your hair can, therefore, help increase its thickness and elasticity and keep it from breaking off.
Argan oil is one of my favorite ingredients for moisturizing hair. It’s supremely moisturizing and also lightweight at the same time. So in this shampoo the oil will help nourish your hair without compromising on volume and bounce.
Also, studies show that argan oil has anti-inflammatory properties that can help with reducing scalp conditions such as eczema and psoriasis.
And as I’ve mentioned earlier, the oil is rich in oleic acid and linoleic acid which act as humectants and attract moisture to your hair and keep it locked in. So argan oil is great for low porosity hair, extremely dry hair, frizz, and other hair issues.
- Related: OGX Nourishing Coconut Milk Shampoo Review
- Related: Kristin ESS The One Signature Shampoo Review
- Related: ACTIIV Shampoo Review
What I Liked About The Luseta Shampoo
I used this shampoo for 5 weeks and here’s what I feel about it now. Firstly let me start off with the good stuff. So here’s what I liked about this shampoo:
- There is absolutely no SLS or SLES in this shampoo. These are very harsh surfactants that can remove hair dye and your scalp’s natural oils along with dirt and debris. So I’m glad to see the shampoo is safe for color-treated and dry hair.
- Despite being free of sulfates, the Luseta Shampoo does contain milder surfactants like Cocamidopropyl Betaine and Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate which makes it foam and lather very well, giving a fantastic cleansing effect.
- I liked the texture of the shampoo formula as it spreads easily through my hair and it smells very good too. It has a very mild but pleasant cinnamon fragrance that I adore
- And before you ask, yes. It did work very well on reducing hair loss, thinness and some amount of damage. I have straight fine hair so it didn’t require much moisturization and this lightweight formula worked very well for me.
- My favorite part however has to be how bouncy and voluminous my hair looked, right after the first wash itself.
- For the formula it’s very reasonably priced, especially if you buy it online
- Like all of Luseta’s products this shampoo too is cruelty free
What Was Disappointing About This Luseta Shampoo
- Okay so I appreciate the fact that this shampoo is sulfate free. But the foaming agent and mild surfactant Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate might still be harsh on sensitive scalps. It won’t strip hair dye but it makes dry scalp worse.
- Also, the shampoos smell might be very nice, but it comes from the addition of synthetic perfumes. If you have scalp inflammation or issues like psoriasis or dermatitis, perfumes can make it worse.
- While as a salon-based formula is reasonably priced, there are other drugstore shampoo brands (like OGX for example) that offer sulfate-free products at even cheaper prices.
Luseta Biotin And Collagen Ratings
- Hair Cleansing Ability – 4/5
- Gentleness – 4.5/5
- Hair Thickening Ability – 5/5
- Hair Strengthening Ability – 4.5/5
Does The Luseta Biotin and Collagen Shampoo Help With Hair Loss?
The Luseta Biotin and Collagen Shampoo is formulated to promote the health of your hair and may indirectly help with hair loss in some cases. Biotin, also known as vitamin B7, is believed to play a role in promoting hair growth and strengthening hair strands. Collagen is a protein that can contribute to the overall health and thickness of hair.
Here’s how the Luseta Biotin and Collagen Shampoo may help with hair loss:
- Strengthens Hair: Biotin and collagen are known for their potential to strengthen hair strands, making them more resilient and less prone to breakage. This can help reduce hair loss that results from hair breakage.
- Promotes Healthy Hair Growth: Biotin is often associated with promoting healthy hair growth by supporting the hair follicles and encouraging the growth of new, healthier strands. This can be particularly beneficial for individuals experiencing hair thinning.
- Thicker-Looking Hair: Collagen can enhance the overall thickness and volume of hair, which may make it appear fuller and reduce the appearance of thinning.
However, it’s important to note that the effectiveness of biotin and collagen in reducing hair loss can vary from person to person, and results are not guaranteed. Hair loss can have various underlying causes, including genetics, hormonal changes, medical conditions, and lifestyle factors.
If you’re concerned about hair loss, it’s advisable to consult with a healthcare professional or dermatologist for a comprehensive evaluation and personalized advice on the most appropriate treatments or solutions for your specific situation.
FAQs about the Luseta Shampoo
Which Luseta shampoo is best for hair growth?
While the Luseta Biotin and Collagen shampoo also helps hair growth by reducing breakage, the best shampoo for actually boosting hair growth is the Luseta Hemp Oil shampoo. Hemp oil is rich in vitamins, minerals and omega-3, 6, and 9 fatty acids that boost nutrient and oxygen delivery to hair follicle roots. This in turn boosts the new hair growth cycle.
Is Luseta sulfate free?
Yes, all of Luseta’s shampoos are sulfate-free as the brand believes in catering to color-treated hair and reducing harsh ingredients from their formulas whenever possible. This means that the shampoos, including the Biotin and Collagen one, do not contain sodium laureth sulfate or sodium lauryl sulfate.
Is Luseta shampoo good for curly hair?
Luseta shampoos can be suitable for curly hair, but it depends on the specific Luseta product and your hair’s needs. Some Luseta shampoos offer moisturizing and hydrating properties, which can benefit curly hair by reducing frizz and enhancing curl definition. However, it’s essential to choose a Luseta shampoo formulated for your hair type and concerns, such as those designed for hydration or curl enhancement. Always follow up with a conditioner or treatment that complements your curly hair’s unique needs for best results.
Summary on the Luseta Shampoo Review
To sum it up, the Luseta Biotin and Collagen shampoo is a very effective salon-quality shampoo. It is sulfate-free, cruelty-free and doesn’t contain any parabens either. So ingredients-wise it’s all clean.
Despite being sulfate-free, it lathers very well leaving hair clean and refreshed.
I also liked how the shampoo works in just a few washes making hair appear thicker and more voluminous.
The price is about mid-range. I think for the formula the shampoo is very reasonably priced. But I won’t pretend that there aren’t a lot of similar drugstore shampoos available at lower prices.
Why You Should Trust Haireveryday?
The author of this article, Leah Marie Priest has a degree in Cosmetology with years of experience in dealing with hair care, scalp care, and hairstyling. As someone who extensively deals with all kinds of hair textures, products, styling methods and more, hair Leah Marie knows what kind of products and procedures suit each hair type and person. We have also tested these hair products and processes ourselves to provide you an unbiased review about every product. Each of our articles are also reviewed by a team of medical professionals so that you get the most accurate and expert-reviewed information.