Here are the reviews for the top protein hair masks for damaged hair. If you’re tired of making DIY homemade hair masks, check out these products to control breakage, split ends, etc. and induce hair growth.
Styling, blowdrying, dust, pollution, chemicals. And you wonder why you have damaged hair?
It is quite normal to go through a phase where your hair strands are getting damaged and lose the original texture. But if not quickly rectified, things could get worse and you may start to lose out on the hair.
That’s when protein comes into play. The protein molecules help fix the damage caused on each strand and revive your original texture and volume so that you have flawless and beautiful hair.
Due to constant exposure to dust and other pollutants, the condition of my hair started deteriorating. It is after a lot of research on the internet that I found that what I needed was the right protein mask for damaged hair.
Signs you need protein treatment for your damaged hair
- Colour treated hair
- Extreme conditions on hair (too dry, too oily)
I have brought together some of the best protein hair masks for damaged hair so that you can get your healthy strands back.
|Best hair mask
|Art Naturals hydrating hair mask
|Best hair mask for colored hair
|Argan Oil, Aloe, Coconut Oil
|Redken extreme strength builder plus
|Best hair mask for split ends
|Amino Acids and Arginine
|L’Oreal Mythic protein hair mask
|Best hair mask for damaged hair
|Glyerin, Calendula Wax, Argan Oil
|Olaplex No.3 Hair Repairing Treatment
|Best affordable hair mask
|Aloe Vera, Jojoba Seed Oil
|Vitamins keratin protein hair mask
|Best hair mask for African American hair
|Biotin, Castor Oil, Collagen
|Lanza urban protein hair mask
|Best hair mask for rough hair
|Cornflower, Calendulla, Yellow Rose
|Kerastase geneisis protein hair mask
|Best hair mask for dry hair
|Coumarin, Glycerin, Ginger Root Extract
|Briogeo Deep Conditioning Mask
|Best hair mask for thin, brittle hair
|Rosehip Oil, B-Vitamin, Algae
|L’Oreal Paris Elvive Damage-Erasing Balm
|Best drugstore mask
|Calendula Wax, Sweet Almond Oil
Which is the best protein hair mask for damaged hair?
Coco and Eve is the best protein hair mask for damaged hair strands as the primary ingredient of this is coconut. The coconut oil is blend in with argan oil and creates the perfect remedy for breaking hair strands and gives the hair a shiny and flowy texture. It is suitable for all hair types including African American afros.
How I tested the top protein hair masks for damaged hair?
I had a lot of hair damage due to bleaching. So I tested out these products myself and then rated them on a scale of 1-5 based on these parameters.
- Damage Repair Ability – The first thing I checked was how well the hair masks helped in reducing damage by controlling breakage, split ends, etc.
- Moisturizing Ability – Damaged hair aslo tends to get dry and frizzy so I checked if the hair masks are moisturizing enough
- Ingredients – I checked if the hair masks contained ingredients like alcohol, perfumes, silicones, etc. that can hurt hair in the long run.
Top protein hair masks for damaged hair 2023
How to Choose the Best Protein Hair Masks for Damaged Hair: Factors To Consider
When choosing the best protein hair mask for damaged hair, there are several factors to consider. Here are some key points to keep in mind:
- Hair Type: Consider your hair type and its specific needs. Different hair types have varying degrees of damage and require different formulations. For example, if you have fine hair, you may want a lightweight mask that doesn’t weigh your hair down.
- Ingredients: Look for masks that contain high-quality protein sources such as hydrolyzed keratin, collagen, or wheat protein. These proteins help strengthen and repair damaged hair. Avoid masks with harsh chemicals like sulfates, parabens, and silicones, as they can further damage your hair.
- Repairing Properties: Check if the hair mask specifically targets the type of damage you’re dealing with, such as dryness, breakage, or chemical damage. Look for masks that provide deep hydration, repair split ends, and restore elasticity to your hair.
- Additional Nourishing Ingredients: Consider masks that contain additional nourishing ingredients like natural oils (argan oil, coconut oil, avocado oil), vitamins (vitamin E, B vitamins), and botanical extracts (aloe vera, green tea, chamomile). These ingredients can provide extra moisture and promote overall hair health.
- Reviews and Recommendations: Read customer reviews and recommendations to gauge the effectiveness of the product. Look for feedback from people with similar hair types and concerns to see if the mask has worked for them.
- Brand Reputation: Choose a reputable brand that specializes in hair care products. Well-established brands often have a history of producing effective and reliable products.
- Price and Value: Consider your budget and the value you’re getting for the price. Remember that quality hair masks may require a higher investment, but they often provide better results.
- Allergies or Sensitivities: If you have any known allergies or sensitivities, carefully read the product labels to ensure that the hair mask doesn’t contain any ingredients that may cause an adverse reaction.
- Usage Instructions: Pay attention to the usage instructions of the hair mask. Some masks may require longer application times or specific application methods. Choose a mask that fits well into your hair care routine and lifestyle.
- Personal Experience: Lastly, remember that everyone’s hair is different, and what works for others may not work for you. It may require some trial and error to find the best protein hair mask that suits your damaged hair needs.
By considering these factors, you can make an informed decision and choose a protein hair mask that will effectively nourish and repair your damaged hair.
How Does Protein In Hair Masks Help Repair Hair Damages
Protein in hair masks can help repair hair damage in several ways:
- Strengthens the Hair: Hair is made up of a protein called keratin, which provides structural strength. When hair becomes damaged, the protein structure weakens, leading to issues like breakage and split ends. Protein hair masks contain hydrolyzed proteins that penetrate the hair shaft, reinforcing and strengthening the protein bonds. This helps to restore the hair’s strength and reduce breakage.
- Fills in Gaps and Smooths the Cuticle: Protein hair masks can fill in gaps and holes in the hair shaft, particularly in cases of chemical damage or excessive heat styling. The proteins bind to the damaged areas, smoothing the cuticle and reducing frizz. This process can improve the overall appearance and texture of the hair, making it look healthier and more manageable.
- Increases Moisture Retention: Protein hair masks often have moisturizing properties that help improve the hair’s ability to retain moisture. Damaged hair tends to be dry and brittle, and protein helps to restore moisture balance by attracting and retaining hydration within the hair shaft. This increased moisture content makes the hair more flexible and less prone to breakage.
- Restores Elasticity: Protein loss in the hair can lead to a loss of elasticity, making the hair more prone to snapping and stretching. Protein hair masks can help restore the hair’s natural elasticity by replenishing the protein content. This elasticity allows the hair to withstand styling and manipulation without easily breaking or becoming damaged.
- Repairs Cuticle Damage: The hair’s outermost layer, called the cuticle, can become damaged due to various factors such as chemical treatments, heat styling, and environmental stressors. Protein in hair masks can repair cuticle damage by smoothing the rough edges and sealing the cuticle layer. This creates a protective barrier that locks in moisture, reduces frizz, and improves the overall health and appearance of the hair.
It’s important to note that while protein is beneficial for damaged hair, an excess of protein can make the hair feel stiff and brittle. It’s recommended to follow the instructions on the hair mask and not overuse protein treatments. Finding the right balance between protein and moisture is key to maintaining healthy, repaired hair.
Art Naturals Hydrating Hair Mask
Art Naturals is a brand that we are all very familiar with so I just had to try out their hair mask to see if it’s any good. I found the results to be very mixed to be honest.
First let’s talk about the good part. I liked how this protein mask is infused with argan oil which is a great ingredient for strengthening thinning or damaged hair and shielding against pollutants and heat.
I found my hair looking so much softer and smoother after using this mask. And it considerably reduced my frizz too.
I also liked how it works on all hair types. It’s just enough nourishing for curly and won’t leave straight hair too greasy either.
I got this Art Naturals product on Amazon and was suprised to see that they guarantee 100 percent of your money back if the product has not worked for you. No I didn’t try to see if that worked because I actaually liked this mask.
Now for the downsides. This product contains silicones. So while it’s amazing at controlling frizz and smoothening hair, it will lead to buildup in the long run.
So if you’re going to use this hair mask make it a priority to use a clarifying shampoo once in a while.
- Brittle and thinning hair
- Colored hair
- Curly hair
- Argan oil is very nourishing and makes it suited for curly hair
- Formula is very hydrating and controls frizz
- Wheat protein helps control split ends
- Silicones in it can cause buildup
- Damage Repair Ability – 4.5/5
- Moisturizing Ability – 4.5/5
- Ingredients – 4.5/5
Related: Best Hair Mask For Bleached Hair
Redken Extreme Mask
I had used the Redken purple shampoos before and liked them so I was intrigued to see what their hair mask is like. Also, this “Extreme Strength” Builder hair mask is marketed as reparining severely damaged hair which was just my case at the moment.
And I feel this hair mask is great if you’re looking for damage repair and nothing else.
There are amino acids and ceramides in the shampoo as chief ingredients. Now these are the compounds that bind the hair strands and keeps it intact, repairing any damage.
So I could see it working very well on controlling my split ends. It also helped reduce breakage due to friction and damage on my hair.
Another thing I liked about this mask was the tube-like packaging makes it easy for use and is even portable.
But that’s about it you know. If you have curly hair then you won’t find this hair mask very nourishing.
It’s not made to moisturize hair. So do not expect it from the mask.
Also there are silicones galore in here. So while you will get smoother, shinier hair after using it. There is a chance of the products building up over time and causing more dryness and frizz.
I also didn’t like the perfume. It’s an artificially added fragrance that isn’t the best thing for sensitive scalp.
Directions for use
Leave it on your wet hair for about 10 minutes and rinse it off. We suggest using an effective shampoo before this.
- Split ends
- Extremely damaged hair
- Contains amino acids that replenish lost keratin in damaged hair
- Cermaides help fill in gaps in strands reducing breakage
- Contains added perfume that might not suit sensitive scalp
- Not nourishing enough for dry or curly hair
- Damage Repair Ability – 4.5/5
- Moisturizing Ability – 3.5/5
- Ingredients – 3.5/5
L’Oreal Mythic Hair Mask
I tried this L’Oreal mythic oil hair mask as I wanted something that was both nourishing and good at damage-repair. And this product looked really promising.
I loved the fact that it contained water and emollients (glycerin) as the main ingredients. So this hair mask is very nourishing for low porosity hair as well.
If you have dry, unruly and tangled hair due to damage then this product is great for you.
Another thing that I have observed with this product is that your hair will achieve a new profound shine that will last for a long time.
While this hair mask is mostly fantastic I would like to give a few warnings. It contains both artificial fragrances and colorants so if you have eczema, psoriasis or sensitive scalps it won’t be good for you.
Also there’s sodium chloride here which is not a friend of glue-in tape extensions. So skip it if you’re wearing them. Or take them off before applying the mask.
- Split ends
- Fine hair
- Rough hair
- Dull hair
- Dehydrated hair
- Argan oil nourishes hair without weighing down fine strands
- Emollient-based formula good for low porosity hair
- Contains hydroyzed wheat protein that is good for damaged hair
- Strong artificial perfumes and dyes that can irritate scalp
- Sodium chloride weakens glue in hair extensions
- Damage Repair Ability – 4.5/5
- Moisturizing Ability – 4/5
- Ingredients – 3/5
Olaplex No. 3 Hair Perfector
I think almost everyone’s heard of Olaplex at this point thanks to the social media influencers who swear by it. But really, its Olaplex any good?
Well, I can safely say it worked on my hair. I could actually visibly notice the reduction in hair breakage so that was great. Also, this hair mask is good for split ends as well.
And while it’s not as moisturizing as say the Art Naturals Mask, it does a decent enough job controlling frizz.
- Rough hair
- Dull hair
- Free of sulfates, gluten, parabens
- Contains vitamin E that repairs damage
- Jojoba oil and aloe vera nourish hair but are not heavy at all
- Can cause protein overload in low porosity hair if used too often
- Damage Repair Ability – 4.5/5
- Moisturizing Ability – 4/5
- Ingredients – 4/5
Vitamins keratin protein hair mask
African American hair is so hard to tame and maintain and what you need are the RIGHT PRODUCTS!
The vitamins infused protein hair mask is the ultimate solution to your brooding hair problems as it serves as a quick fix.
The keratin extract that this product has in a great deal is used to smoothen hair and give you great texture and a softer look from the outside.
The ingredients are quite powerful which include wheat germ oil, argan oil, and keratin extracts which are basically all you need for healthy hair.
This is considered to be effective for those with bleached and colored hair.
- African American afro hair
- Coloured and bleached hair
Lanza urban protein hair mask
Lanza’s hair mask is a quick solution that works well with thick and uncontrollable hair.
The ingredients of this hair mask are gentle on the hair strands and therefore works really well with brittle and thinning hair.
Coconut oil is one of the most used products on the hair and there’s a reason for it. It fixes EVERYTHING. Lanza has taken advantage of these ingredients and used it in their hair mask.
Leaving this hair mask on the hair can smoothen your hair strands and works out for the best in every sense.
Lanza assures you that with the first wash you will see evident results.
- Smoothening hair
- Rough hair
Kerastase geneisis protein hair mask
Kerastase recognizes that your hair is exposed to pollutants and dirt every day and you need a product that gently removes them and cleanses it from deep within.
This exposure can be the main reason for hair breakage and extreme weakness of the hair. You can see your hair slowly deteriorating until it looks completely dull and lifeless.
This hair mask does not allow this on your hair strands but keeps it shiny at all times. The ingredients used in this are free of sulphates and keeps the essential oils imbibed in your ahir strands and strengthens your hair from root to tip.
- Dry and lifeless hair
Coco & Eve Coconut hair mask
I love how tropical the packaging of this hair mask looks and even glad to know that it’s infused with coconuts!
Coco and Eve have always been my go-to for any hair problem fix and I have always been satisfied with their products.
The main aspect of this hair mask is that it eliminates frizz and keeps the hair shiny and voluminous with every use. It can be quite hard to attain this but Coco and Eve proves this point effortlessly.
It contains shea butter, argan and coconut oil which is a dream combination for those with hair problems.
- Frizzy hair
Morocconoil hydrating hair mask
Moroccan oil has been a great brand in mending dryness and adding hydrants that will keep your hair strands intact.
The argan oil in this product deeply moisturises the hair and gives you the best of all the antioxidants and leaves the hair looking nourished and healthy.
The best part about this protein mask is that it is quick in being effective. All you need is 5 minutes before/ during your shower and you’re good to go.
The packaging is super convenient and is sure to reflect the results in a considerable amount of time.
- Dry hair
Briogeo Don’t Despair, Repair Deep Conditioning Mask
If you have very thin, brittle hair that is in need of some loving and care, try this Brigeo hair mask. The lightweight formula is just perfect for fine tresses as it doesn’t weigh them down. But despite the light texture, the mask is packed with nutrients.
The ingredients, including algae extracts, biotin, corn protein, soy protein among others help thicken your strands and heal any split ends or breakage.
There’s also sweet almond oil and avocado oil that helps hydrate your dehydrated tresses. This hair mask is also cruelty-free and does not contain any silicones or parabens.
L’Oreal Paris Hair Care Elvive Total Repair 5 Damage-Erasing Balm
One of the more affordable protein hair masks on this list is the L’Oreal Paris Hair Care Elvive Total Repair 5 Damage-Erasing Balm. The balm comes packed with almond extracts, proteins, and ceramides that help add moisture to dull, damaged hair and leave your tresses silky and smooth again.
The rinse-out balm is fantastic for use on bleached and colour-treated hair. As its super nourishing, you can even use it on African American hair textures.
Protein masks are god sent. No doubt about that. But it is important to understand that each hair type requires a certain amount of hydrants to soothe the hair strands and give it utmost health.
Why You Should Trust Haireveryday?
The author of this article, Leah Marie Priest has a degree in Cosmetology with years of experience in dealing with hair care, scalp care, and hairstyling. As someone who extensively deals with all kinds of hair textures, products, styling methods and more, hair Leah Marie knows what kind of products and procedures suit each hair type and person. We have also tested these hair products and processes ourselves to provide you an unbiased review about every product. Each of our articles are also reviewed by a team of medical professionals so that you get the most accurate and expert-reviewed information.
Olaplex Hair Perfector No 3 Repairing Treatment
The best protein hair masks for damaged hair help repair split ends and breakage. The Olaplex Hair Perfector No 3 Repairing Treatment is suited for curly hair as well.
Product SKU: OLHWPR5H281
Product Brand: Olaplex
Product Currency: USD
Product Price: $28.00
Price Valid Until: 2024-09-06
Product In-Stock: InStock