Does Batiste Dry Shampoo Contain Benzene? Find out answers to this question and also learn what benzene is, why it’s bad for your health and if your favorite dry shampoo is safe or has potentially cancer-causing ingredients.
As a frequent user of dry shampoos, I was alarmed to hear about the potential presence of benzene in these products. Benzene is a known carcinogen and can pose serious health risks if exposed to high levels over an extended period.
In this article, I will delve into the topic of whether Batiste Dry Shampoo contains benzene, the reasons for its addition in dry shampoos, the side effects associated with its use, the ingredients in Batiste Dry Shampoo, and finally, some alternative dry shampoos that do not contain benzene.
Does Batiste Dry Shampoo Contain Benzene?
Yes, Batiste dry shampoos had Benzene in its formula in 2021. According to the lawsuit in October 31, 2022 by Valisure, an independent laboratory, Batiste shampoos had about 15 parts per million of Benzene when the “safe” threshold for Benzene as given by the FDA is 2 parts per million. However, Batiste has recalled these shampoos and has promised to modify the formula. But there is NO guarantee that Batiste shampoos are completely safe, so customers’ discretion is advised while buying.
Batiste Dry Shampoo Recall and Lawsuit
There were concerns raised about the presence of benzene in certain batches of Batiste Dry Shampoo. Benzene is a known carcinogen, and its presence in consumer products like dry shampoos is a serious health concern.
According to news reports, in 2021, a lawsuit was filed against Batiste Dry Shampoo’s parent company, Church & Dwight Co. Inc., alleging that certain batches of the product contained high levels of benzene.
The lawsuit was brought by an independent laboratory called Valisure who discovered that the amount of benzene in the dry shampoo was higher than FDA limits through independent testing.
In response to the lawsuit and consumer concerns, Church & Dwight Co. Inc. announced that they would be voluntarily withdrawing certain batches of Batiste Dry Shampoo from the market.
The withdrawal was a precautionary measure taken by the company to address the issue and ensure consumer safety.
Worried that your favorite dry shampoo brand has cancer-causing benzene? Try these safe alternatives instead https://t.co/AxRLSCJzTa— Bloomberg (@business) May 26, 2023
What is Benzene and Why is it Added in Dry Shampoos?
Benzene is a colorless and highly flammable liquid with a sweet aroma. It is a naturally occurring chemical compound found in crude oil and various industrial processes. While it can be found in trace amounts in the environment, it is primarily used as a starting material in the production of a wide range of chemicals, including plastics, resins, and synthetic rubber.
In the context of dry shampoos, benzene has been used as a solvent or propellant in certain formulations. It can help disperse and deliver the active ingredients in the product, making it easier to apply and distribute throughout the hair.
However, due to its carcinogenic properties, its use in consumer products, including dry shampoos, has come under scrutiny.
Related: What Loreal Shampoo Contains Benzene
The Side Effects of Benzene in Dry Shampoos and Hair Products
Exposure to high levels of benzene over a prolonged period is known to have detrimental effects on human health.
The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) has classified benzene as a Group 1 carcinogen, meaning it is known to cause cancer in humans. Inhalation, absorption through the skin, or ingestion of benzene can lead to various health issues, including:
1. Cancer: Long-term exposure to benzene has been linked to an increased risk of developing leukemia, specifically acute myeloid leukemia (AML), as well as other blood-related cancers.
2. Respiratory Irritation: Short-term exposure to high concentrations of benzene vapor can cause respiratory irritation, leading to symptoms like coughing, wheezing, and difficulty breathing.
3. Skin Irritation: Direct contact with benzene can cause skin irritation, redness, and dermatitis.
4. Central Nervous System Effects: Benzene exposure can affect the central nervous system, leading to symptoms such as dizziness, drowsiness, and headaches.
Batiste Dry Shampoo Ingredients
Batiste Dry Shampoo is a popular product among consumers seeking a quick fix for oily or unwashed hair. While the brand has faced concerns about the presence of benzene in its dry shampoos, it is essential to note that the specific formulation may vary depending on the region and time of purchase.
Generally, the ingredients in Batiste Dry Shampoo may include:
1. Isobutane: A propellant that helps deliver the product in an aerosol form.
2. Propane: Another propellant used in aerosol formulations.
3. Oryza Sativa (Rice) Starch: A common ingredient in dry shampoos, rice starch helps absorb excess oil and impurities from the hair.
4. Alcohol Denat: An alcohol-based solvent that helps dissolve and deliver other ingredients.
5. Fragrance: To provide a pleasant scent to the dry shampoo.
6. Linalool, Limonene, Hexyl Cinnamal: These are fragrance components that can be found in the product.
7. Butane: Another propellant used in aerosol products.
How Much Percentage and Quantity of Benzene is in Batiste Dry Shampoo?
Batiste Dry Shampoo was found to contain benzene in trace amounts; this was about 15 parts per million of the chemical. However, it’s essential to note that these specific products were involved in a lawsuit due to their benzene content. The lawsuit prompted the withdrawal of the affected batches from the market.
It’s important to understand that the presence of benzene in consumer products is generally regulated by health and safety authorities. Manufacturers are required to comply with guidelines and standards regarding the maximum allowable concentration of benzene to ensure consumer safety.
After the lawsuit, Batiste took measures to address the issue, and the current batches of their dry shampoos do not contain benzene. However, as a responsible consumer, it’s always a good idea to check the product labels and do some research on the formulation before making a purchase.
How Do I Know If My Dry Shampoo Has Benzene?
Before the lawsuit, it might have been challenging to determine if a specific batch of Batiste Dry Shampoo contained benzene. However, since the affected products have been withdrawn, it is less of a concern with the current batches available on the market.
Nonetheless, to ensure the safety of any cosmetic product you use, including dry shampoos, follow these steps:
1. Check the Ingredients: Look at the list of ingredients on the product label. If you are concerned about benzene or any other harmful chemicals, research the individual ingredients to understand their safety profile.
2. Read Reviews: Check for consumer reviews and feedback on the product to see if there have been any reported issues or concerns.
3. Choose Trusted Brands: Opt for products from reputable brands that prioritize safety and are transparent about their ingredient lists.
4. Stay Informed: Keep an eye on product recalls or safety alerts issued by health authorities. Staying informed can help you make better decisions about the products you use.
What are Some Dry Shampoos That Do Not Have Benzene?
If you’re looking for alternative dry shampoos that do not contain benzene, there are plenty of options available on the market.
Many brands have recognized the demand for safer and more natural hair care products and have formulated dry shampoos free from harmful chemicals. Here are some examples of dry shampoos that are benzene-free:
1. Living Proof Perfect Hair Day (PhD) Dry Shampoo: This dry shampoo is formulated without harmful chemicals and is suitable for all hair types.
2. Klorane Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk: Klorane is known for its gentle and natural hair care products, and their dry shampoo is no exception.
3. Briogeo Scalp Revival Charcoal + Biotin Dry Shampoo: This dry shampoo is free from harmful chemicals and contains ingredients that promote a healthy scalp.
4. Not Your Mother’s Clean Freak Refreshing Dry Shampoo: This affordable option is sulfate-free and contains natural ingredients like tapioca starch.
5. R+Co Death Valley Dry Shampoo: R+Co is a brand that focuses on using clean and safe ingredients in their hair care products, including their dry shampoo.
When choosing a dry shampoo, always read the label and look for products that are free from harmful chemicals like benzene. Additionally, consider your hair type and any specific concerns you may have, such as sensitivity to certain ingredients or scalp conditions.
While Batiste Dry Shampoo was once found to contain trace amounts of benzene, the affected batches have been withdrawn from the market due to a lawsuit. The current batches of Batiste Dry Shampoo do not contain benzene.
Benzene is a known carcinogen and can pose serious health risks if used in consumer products. It’s essential to be cautious and informed about the ingredients in the products we use and to choose hair care products that prioritize safety and transparency.
There are plenty of alternative dry shampoos available that do not contain benzene, allowing you to enjoy refreshed and clean hair without compromising your health.
Always read product labels, do research, and consider consumer reviews to make informed decisions about the products you use on your hair and body.
Why You Should Trust Haireveryday?
The author of this article, Leah Marie Priest has a degree in Cosmetology with years of experience in dealing with hair care, scalp care, and hairstyling. As someone who extensively deals with all kinds of hair textures, products, styling methods and more, hair Leah Marie knows what kind of products and procedures suit each hair type and person. We have also tested these hair products and processes ourselves to provide you an unbiased review about every product. Each of our articles are also reviewed by a team of medical professionals so that you get the most accurate and expert-reviewed information.