Redken vs Pureology: which is the better hair care brand for colored hair, curly hair, damaged hair, etc., and how effective are its ingredients and formula? Find out here!
In This Article:
- Redken vs Pureology Brand Overview
- Product Lines Comparison
- Key Ingredients and Benefits
- Pros and Cons
- My Reviews and Experiences With Pureology and Redken
- Pureology Strength Cure Shampoo vs Redken Acidic Bonding Concentrate Shampoo
- Why You Should Trust Haireveryday?
As a haircare enthusiast, I am often asked to recommend the best products for different hair types and concerns. One question that frequently comes up is whether Redken or Pureology is the better choice. Both brands are well-known in the industry and have a loyal following, but how do they compare? Let’s see!
Redken vs Pureology Brand Overview
History of Redken
Redken is a hair care brand that was founded in 1960 by American actress Paula Kent and her hairdresser Jheri Redding. The brand was initially focused on creating products that were gentle and safe for color-treated hair. Over time, Redken expanded its product line to include a wide range of hair care and styling products, including shampoos, conditioners, hair treatments, and styling aids.
Today, Redken is known for its innovative products that use advanced technologies and formulas to address specific hair concerns. The brand’s products are designed to help improve the overall health and appearance of the hair, while also providing styling benefits.
History of Pureology
Pureology is a hair care brand that was founded in 2001 by Jim Markham, a hairdresser and entrepreneur. The brand was created with the goal of providing high-quality, sulfate-free hair care products that were safe for color-treated hair.
Pureology’s products are formulated with natural ingredients and are designed to help protect and strengthen the hair, while also providing color protection and enhancing shine.
Today, Pureology is known for its eco-friendly approach to hair care, as well as its commitment to using sustainable and ethically sourced ingredients. The brand’s products are vegan and cruelty-free, and are designed to be gentle on both the hair and the environment.
As someone who has been a professional hairstylist, I really do love both Redken and Pureology hair care brands as they address various hair concerns.
I have found that while Redken focuses on using advanced technologies and formulas to improve the sort of general health and appearance of the hair, Pureology is known for its eco-friendly approach. I love their commitment to using natural and sustainable ingredients.
Product Lines Comparison
Redken Product Lines
- Redken All Soft: The All Soft line is formulated to provide intense moisture and hydration for dry and brittle hair. It aims to restore softness, shine, and manageability to dry and damaged hair.
- Redken Color Extend: This line is designed to protect and extend the life of hair color. It helps prevent fading and enhances the vibrancy of color-treated hair. Color Extend products also work to strengthen and fortify the hair.
- Redken Extreme: The Extreme line is targeted towards strengthening and repairing distressed, damaged, or weakened hair. It helps fortify the hair’s internal structure, reduce breakage, and improve overall hair resilience.
- Redken Frizz Dismiss: Frizz Dismiss is formulated to combat frizz and humidity. This line helps smooth the hair, control frizz, and enhance manageability, making it suitable for those with unruly or frizz-prone hair.
- Redken Diamond Oil Glow Dry: Diamond Oil Glow Dry is specifically designed for achieving a glossy, radiant finish during blow-drying. It adds shine, speeds up drying time, and provides a lightweight feel to the hair.
- Redken High Rise Volume: High Rise Volume focuses on adding lift and body to fine or flat hair. It provides lightweight volume and fullness while enhancing the overall texture of the hair.
- Redken Acidic Bonding Concentrate: This one is tailored for curly and wavy hair. It helps define and enhance curls, control frizz, and provide moisture to maintain the natural beauty of curly hair.
- Redken Brews: This is a men’s grooming line that includes a variety of products such as shampoos, conditioners, styling products, and skincare items. It is designed to address the specific needs of men’s hair and grooming.
Pureology Product Range
- Pureology Hydrate: The Hydrate line focuses on providing intense hydration to dry, color-treated hair. It helps to moisturize, detangle, and enhance the vibrancy of color while protecting against color fading.
- Pureology Strength Cure: It is designed to repair and strengthen damaged, color-treated hair. It aims to reduce breakage, fortify the hair’s structure, and improve overall hair health.
- Pureology Smooth Perfection: This one is targeted towards managing and taming frizz. It helps to control and smooth unruly hair, providing a sleek and polished finish. This line is particularly suitable for those with frizz-prone or coarse hair.
- Pureology Nanoworks Gold: This is an anti-aging hair care line that focuses on restoring and maintaining youthful hair vitality. It addresses signs of aging, such as thinning and dullness, while providing softness and shine.
- Pureology Clean Volume: Clean Volume is formulated to add volume and fullness to fine and color-treated hair without weighing it down. It provides lift, body, and a lightweight feel for those seeking voluminous styles.
- Pureology Colour Fanatic: Colour Fanatic is a multi-tasking hair treatment spray that offers numerous benefits, including detangling, protecting against color fade, adding shine, and providing heat protection. It is suitable for all hair types.
- Pureology Purify Shampoo: Purify Shampoo is designed to gently cleanse and remove impurities from the hair without stripping color. It is ideal for those who want a clarifying shampoo that maintains color vibrancy.
- Pureology Clean Volume Instant Levitation Mist: This product is part of the Clean Volume line and is specifically a volumizing mist that provides lift and fullness to the hair. It is designed for use on damp hair before styling.
Key Ingredients and Benefits
Redken Key Ingredients
Redken hair care products contain a variety of key ingredients that work together to provide a range of benefits. Some of the most important ingredients found in Redken products include:
- Protein: Redken products contain protein to help strengthen and repair damaged hair. Protein helps to rebuild the hair’s structure, making it stronger and more resilient.
- Ceramides: Ceramides are lipids that help to reinforce the hair’s natural protective barrier. (Meckfessel, Matthew H, and Staci Brandt. “The structure, function, and importance of ceramides in skin and their use as therapeutic agents in skin-care products.” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology vol. 71,1 (2014): 177-84. doi:10.1016/j.jaad.2014.01.891) They help to lock in moisture and prevent damage from environmental stressors.
- Arginine: Arginine is an amino acid that helps to improve the health of the scalp and hair follicles. It helps to stimulate blood flow to the scalp, promoting healthy hair growth.
- Soy Protein: Soy protein is a natural source of amino acids that helps to nourish and strengthen the hair. It helps to improve the hair’s texture and shine.
Pureology Key Ingredients
Pureology hair care products are formulated with a range of key ingredients that are designed to provide a variety of benefits. Some of the most important ingredients found in Pureology products include:
- Antioxidants: Pureology products contain a variety of antioxidants, such as vitamin E and sunflower seed oil, that help to protect the hair from environmental stressors and damage.
- Essential Oils: Pureology products contain a range of essential oils, such as jojoba oil and peppermint oil, that help to nourish and moisturize the hair. These oils help to improve the hair’s texture and shine.
- ZeroSulfate®: Pureology’s ZeroSulfate® formula is designed to gently cleanse the hair without stripping it of its natural oils. This helps to prevent dryness and damage, leaving the hair looking and feeling healthy.
- AntiFade Complex®: Pureology’s AntiFade Complex® is a blend of ingredients that helps to protect hair color from fading. It helps to lock in color and prevent damage from UV rays and other environmental stressors.
Pros and Cons
Pros and Cons of Redken Hair Care Products
Redken has been a trusted brand in the hair care industry for over 50 years. Their products are known for their high-quality ingredients and innovative technology. Here are some pros and cons of using Redken hair care products:
- Redken products are formulated with high-quality ingredients that are gentle on the hair.
- Their range of products is vast, catering to different hair types and concerns.
- Redken products contain innovative technology that helps to improve the overall health of the hair.
- Redken products can be expensive compared to other hair care brands.
- Some of their products may contain sulfates, which can be harsh on the hair.
Pros and Cons of Pureology Hair Care Products
Pureology is a brand that focuses on creating hair care products that are vegan, sulfate-free, and environmentally friendly. Here are some pros and cons of using Pureology hair care products:
- Pureology products are vegan and sulfate-free, making them gentle on the hair.
- Their products are formulated with natural ingredients that are good for the hair and scalp.
- Pureology is committed to being an environmentally friendly brand, using sustainable packaging and ingredients.
- Pureology products can be expensive compared to other hair care brands.
- Their range of products is limited compared to other brands, which may not cater to all hair types and concerns.
My Reviews and Experiences With Pureology and Redken
As an experienced hair stylist and cosmetologist, I have come across numerous reviews and feedback from consumers regarding Redken and Pureology hair care products. Both brands have a good reputation in the market, but there are some notable differences that set them apart.
Redken has a loyal following due to its salon-quality products that cater to a wide range of hair types. Customers rave about the brand’s color-safe shampoos, conditioners, and styling products that leave hair feeling soft, smooth, and healthy. Redken’s signature ingredient, protein, is said to strengthen hair from the inside out, making it less prone to breakage and damage.
On the other hand, Pureology has made a name for itself as a brand that uses natural and vegan ingredients in their hair care products. Customers appreciate the brand’s commitment to sustainability and cruelty-free practices. Pureology’s products are known for their ability to hydrate and nourish hair, leaving it looking shiny and vibrant.
In terms of pricing, Pureology products tend to be more expensive than Redken’s, which may be a factor for some consumers. However, many customers are willing to pay the extra cost for the brand’s high-quality ingredients and ethical practices.
In my years cutting, washing and coloring hair, I have noticed that both Redken and Pureology have a strong market reputation and loyal customer base. Many of the salons I worked in after graduating college used these brands!
But I think, ultimately, it comes down to personal preference and hair type when choosing between these two brands.
Pureology Strength Cure Shampoo vs Redken Acidic Bonding Concentrate Shampoo
I decided to check out both these shampoos and try them out for a few days to see exactly how they differ? I bought the shampoo-conditioner combo of both of these from Amazon. I found the Pureology one for $74 for 9 fl.oz bottles. Yes, it’s expensive! The Redken one wasn’t better as that shampoo I got for $66.00 for 10 fl.oz bottles. Slightly less expensive, but in no way better.
So let’s get down to it!
I found that both Pureology Strength Cure Shampoo and Redken Acidic Bonding Concentrate Shampoo are sulfate-free and designed to repair hair damage, protect color, and strengthen hair. They both contain amodimethicone, which helps to smooth and protect the hair surface, and are suitable for all hair types and textures.
Pureology Strength Cure Shampoo
After reading the ingredients list I found that Pureology Strength Cure Shampoo is formulated with a plant-based protein called Keravis, which helps to strengthen your hair and prevent damage.
The antioxidant astaxanthin, derived from microalgae, helps to heal and repair damage, while arginine boosts moisture levels for long-lasting hydration. All Pureology products are sulfate-free and safe on color-treated hair.
The shampoo has a sweet floral scent, with a sweet raspberry and peach fragrance blended with fresh water flowers. It’s formulated to fortify and repair hair breakage, prevent hair damage, and improve hair strength in just one use.
Redken Acidic Bonding Concentrate Shampoo
Redken Acidic Bonding Concentrate Shampoo is formulated with citric acid and a Bonding Care Complex, which strengthens the weakened bonds of your hair while improving the strength and resilience of damaged tresses.
The shampoo also contains a plant-derived protein, Keravis, to help build strength and prevent hair damage. The antioxidant astaxanthin helps to heal and repair damage, while arginine boosts moisture levels for long-lasting hydration.
The shampoo has a bright, fresh scent, with top notes of orange, bergamot, and marine, middle notes of freesia, peach, and rose, and bottom notes of cedarwood, sandalwood, and amber. It’s suitable for all hair types and textures, including hair damaged from heat styling and/or overprocessing.
The main difference between these two shampoos is the active ingredients they use to achieve the same goal of stronger, healthier hair. Pureology Strength Cure Shampoo uses a plant-based protein and antioxidants to nourish and restore damaged hair, while Redken Acidic Bonding Concentrate Shampoo uses citric acid and a Bonding Care Complex to strengthen and repair damaged hair.
When it comes to pricing, Redken tends to be slightly less expensive than Pureology. However, both brands offer high-end hair care products that deliver results.
So to sum it up, both Pureology Strength Cure Shampoo and Redken Acidic Bonding Concentrate Shampoo are excellent choices for repairing and strengthening damaged hair. It ultimately comes down to personal preference and which active ingredients you prefer.
Redken and Pureology are both professional haircare brands that offer a wide range of products for different hair types and concerns. Redken was founded in 1960 and has since become a staple in many salons around the world.
Pureology, on the other hand, was founded in 2001 with a focus on creating high-quality, vegan hair care products. While both brands offer similar products, such as shampoos, conditioners, and styling products, there are some key differences to consider when choosing between them.
Why You Should Trust Haireveryday?
The author of this article, Leah Marie Priest has a degree in Cosmetology with years of experience in dealing with hair care, scalp care, and hairstyling. As someone who extensively deals with all kinds of hair textures, products, styling methods and more, hair Leah Marie knows what kind of products and procedures suit each hair type and person. We have also tested these hair products and processes ourselves to provide you an unbiased review about every product. Each of our articles are also reviewed by a team of medical professionals so that you get the most accurate and expert-reviewed information.